Importance of Soft Skills
Prof. Reema Basfore, Lecturer, IQ City United World School of Business, Kolkata
Soft Skills – skills that pay off forever
Studies by Stanford Research Institute and the Carnegie Mellon Foundation and fortune 500 CEOS established that 75% of long term job success resulted from soft skills mastery and only 25% from technical skills . Researcher at Boston University , University of Michigan’s Ross school of Business found that workers with soft skills training are 12% more productive than those without them . Harvard University reported that 85% of success at the work place is attributed to soft skills and only 15 % to technical skills . From the above Analysis , we can see that the skills that pays off forever makes you more likeable ,helps in getting ,retaining the job is soft skills. Now the question is – what actually is the soft skill ? Soft skills are synonyms for “ Peoples skill” , Interpersonal Skills and “Transferable skills “ . Soft skill refers to a cluster of personal qualities ,habits , attitudes & social graces that makes someone a good employee & compatible to work with . Unlike Hard skill which are basically technical skills specific to job , soft skills are broadly applicable which include common sense , the ability to deal with people and a positive flexible attitude . Some of the key soft skill are : –
- Empathy Team work 3. Leadership 4. Good communication 5. Problem solving 6. Creativity 7. Negotiation 8. Decision Making etc .
- To handle interpersonal relations
- To take appropriate decision
- To communicate effectively
- To have good impression & impact to gain professional development
- Professional accomplishments
- Lifelong credentials
- New employment opportunities
- Promotes creativity
- Crucial for self reflection .
- Lack of Satisfaction
- Poor Influence in Group
- Criticisms in all levels of life.